Saturday, January 16, 2010

Havana Daydreamin'

One of the strangest parts about being here is that my dreams are all still about New York or DC, thus giving a very strange feeling to waking up and realizing that I am in Paris.


Last night in my dream, my mom was cooking eggs and we were watching Ellen...such a familiar scene, but also a dose of just what I needed. She carried over a big bowl of popcorn and we were sitting and talking and laughing...and then when I woke up in Paris, I was alone- and without any parmesan cheese/seasoned salt covered popcorn (seriously, trust me its the best thing you'll ever have), witty banter from Ellen and her guests, and mostly- my mom.


Honestly, I've always been extremely close with my family. Ask anyone at GW and the amount that i'm on the phone with my parents and even my younger brother is more than slightly above average. When I'm home, some of my favorite parts of the day are always when my dad gets home from work on night, and when my mom and I lounge around eating all of my favorite kinds of food (all that involve ranch dressing or cream cheese...Paris has yet to catch up on these brilliant inventions) watching Ellen until my brother gets home to do his homework.


Its hard because when I woke up here today, I knew exactly what was going on back home. . . it was just about 6am in New York, my dad was still sleeping because on Saturdays, he gets to do that. My mom was probably just giving into the urge to get out of bed, Sam in "Sam's spot" at the edge, Paul of course- sleeping.


Last night I ignored the extreme expense of using my phone currently for the first time so that I could talk to Maggie for a little bit. It was strange to hear about things going on in DC in spite of my absence (I guess that's a silly thing to say) when I woke up today, I craved one of those disgusting greasy omelets from downstairs with "breakfast potatoes" along with the ability of Ivory rooms to get extremely warm extremely fast...but I had no such luck on any of those accounts.


I bet, though, that I could find ingredients to make popcorn here... conditional, of course, on fixing my outlets...oy.

1 comment:

  1. Parmesan in France? How about some brie on that popcorn -- ick! I wonder if that counts as an attempt at cultural assimilation.

    ReplyDelete