Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Changes in Latitudes


I have spent twenty years playing it safe.


A year ago, I would have acknowledged that I am always the first to take the blame. I am always the first to apologize. And I am always quickest to naively trust those that don't deserve it. Many times, I have looked reality square in the face and denied it. I have been ignorant to a lot, including the strength of some of the friendships around me. In 2009, though, I overcame a huge portion of the ignorance I had been diluting myself with, and began building a realistic strength. My ability to do this, however slowly, stemmed solely from those closest to me and their confidence and examples.

I learned that you can strive for the perfect ending, the perfect goodbye- but, simply put, it is a rare occurrence that our expectations align with reality. I learned that you cannot count on things staying the same, but you can appreciate them while they are there. Most importantly though, I found that, despite the moments when you wake up and cant imagine getting out of bed- you will. It is a part of the human condition that life has a way of rearranging itself- and we find a "new normal." (that phrase was coined by one of my favorite professors)

Things will change, and so, inevitably, will people- but change is what makes things interesting.

And so, with that, it is time for a change.


My twenty years of playing it safe has come to an abrupt halt: I am jumping off of the proverbial deep end and moving to Paris- 3 days from today. As they so frequently do, words seem inadequate to describe what is going through my mind.


I have always had trouble letting go and more trouble saying goodbye- but today, as my two closest confidants and biggest supporters walked out the door of my New York City apartment, I couldn't help but know that (cliche as it is) they would never really be far.


Ask anyone I know and they will reluctantly acknowledge, I have always been a very, very lucky person. I have been blessed with more than I can explain and I have accomplished a lot, here in America- but as a wise man (okay, Jimmy Buffett) stated in his song serving as the namesake for this "blog"...


There is still SO much to be done

1 comment: